Patch Work Colour Workshop | November 7th @ 10amRegular price £95.00
Patch Work Colour Workshop
Workshop tickets are excluded from any online discounts.
Make a mini hand sewn quilt with artist Deborah Manson in this one day workshop to make a unique 40cms x 40cms hand sewn patchwork quilt.
Deborah will begin by talking about her own practice and showing you examples inspiring you to design your own unique patchwork composition using colour and shape, a selection of Deborah’s naturally dyed fabrics, and your own fabric scraps.
Using a basic hand stitch technique you’ll learn to piece your fabrics together using both straight and curved lines then add texture with hand quilting using Japanese sashiko threads and finishing your piece off with a simple binding.
During this workshop you will develop the following creative skills and techniques:
- Hand pieced patchwork
- Colour and texture relationships
- Hand quilting
Your mini quilt could be the starting point for something bigger, or a way to explore these traditional techniques in a modern way.
The price of the workshop includes wool wadding, Deborah hand dyed fabrics, sewing equipment, and an illustrated booklet of instructions.
Participants must bring along:
- A good pair of fabric scissors
- A selection of plain and patterned fabric scraps.
- 60 cms x 60 cms piece of plain or patterned fabric suitable for the back of your hanging and your edge binding.
- All the better if your fabrics are second hand, unpicked garments with a personal story or something you’ve found in a market or charity shop.
Suitable for all levels.
Deborah works from her studio in Sussex where she makes textiles and works on paper. Her garden is an extension of the studio where she grows and processes plants for natural dyeing. Her practice engages deeply with the act of making, an exploration of materials and the natural world.
Her aesthetic – lo-fi, handmade, imperfect – evolves from her interest in age old craft
techniques and the cross overs between art, design and craft. Whether working with paper or cloth she explores colour relationships, placement and
composition and the juxtaposition of materials and textures.
Deborah studied Visual Communication at Central St Martins and Textile Design at
Chelsea College of Art. She exhibits her work in museums and galleries and runs
workshops and courses for people of all ages and abilities.
- Time - 10am - 5pm (5 hours approx)
- Location - Radical Giving Store, The Needlemakers, Lewes BN7 2NZ
- Ticket price includes a complimentary drink
- Attendees receive 20% discount in the Radical Giving store along with 20% off all food and drink at The Needlemakers Roundhill, an award winning 100% plant based cafe, situated next door to our workshop space and store.
- Please note: Tickets are sold per person
Tickets are sold per person. We do not send out a physical ticket, your email confirmation is your ticket. Please contact us via email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need any further info.
Unfortunately we are unable to offer refunds for workshop bookings, but we understand that things might come up, so we are happy to defer your booking to a future workshop if need be. If you would like to make any changes to your booking we kindly ask for 7 days notice. Please let us know via email@example.com if you need to make a change.
All of our workshops aim to start promptly. With this in mind we politely request that you arrive 10 minutes before the workshop starts. If you are running late for the workshop, please let us know via email.
There will be a maximum of six people per workshop. Each participant will have their own workspace. Hand sanitiser will be provided. Please do not visit if you have symptoms or are feeling unwell.
Our workshops are open to anyone over the age of 18.